Dental Bonding Provides an Affordable Solution to Renewing Your Smile
Dental bonding is a low-cost alternative to porcelain veneers for patients with discoloration, minor gaps, or misalignment. The doctors at Jersey City Dental in Jersey City, NJ, have trained at the Las Vegas Institute (LVI) to offer the latest in cosmetic dentistry. Whether your teeth are damaged as a result of chips or cracks, or you want a more balanced, attractive smile, we recommend dental bonding as a solution for restoring your smile.
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding uses tooth-colored composite resin to conceal blemishes, such as chipped edges, stains, and misshaped teeth. This combination of acrylic and ceramic can be molded to look and feel like your original teeth, providing realistic results. While teeth whitening and Invisalign® are effective cosmetic treatments, they can take months before results are completed, and are unable to correct permanent imperfections.
Dental Bonding vs. Porcelain Veneers
Although similar in function, dental bonding does not require enamel reconstruction and can be completed in just one office visit, making it a more conservative and affordable alternative to porcelain veneers. Due to the enamel removal, porcelain veneers are considered permanent. However, if ever you wanted to reverse your dental bonding results, you could do so. When bonded teeth are properly cared for, they can last 10 to 15 years.
Whether your teeth are damaged as a result of chips or cracks, or you want a more balanced and attractive smile, we recommend dental bonding as a solution for restoring your smile.
Are You a Good Candidate?
Candidates should have healthy teeth and gums, free of gum disease, and be committed to maintaining good oral health. Dental bonding can help address a variety of restorative and cosmetic concerns, such as:
- Decayed teeth
- Silver fillings
- Chipped teeth
- Gaps and minor dental misalignment
- Permanent stains or tooth discoloration
- Short, stubby teeth
- Unevenly shaped teeth
What to Expect with Dental Bonding
During your initial consultation, the doctor will use specialized dental technology to detect any problem areas and determine if you have healthy teeth. We will also take the time to review your cosmetic concerns in order to tailor your treatment plan to your exact desires. Dental bonding can generally be completed in one office visit in just a few simple steps. Unless your teeth are being treated for cavities, anesthesia is usually not required. If you suffer from dental sensitivity, talk to us in advance about the services available to help make you as comfortable as possible.
- Tooth Preparation: The doctor will first thoroughly clean and dry your teeth. A special etching solution is then applied to each tooth being treated, providing a sturdy foundation for the composite resin.
- Composite Resin Selection: Using your desired goals and a shade guide, the appropriate composite resin color is selected. For more dramatic results, patients may choose to first undergo teeth whitening.
- Composite Resin Application: Once the composite resin is shade-matched to your smile, it will be carefully applied. Due to the putty-like consistency, it requires an eye for detail and expert application skills. In between each layer, a curing light is used to harden the resin to ensure optimal results.
- Tooth Polishing: The doctor will trim excess resin and polish your smile to reveal your stunning results.
Enhance Your Smile Today
If you are looking for a cost-effective and natural-looking way to transform your smile or conceal dental blemishes, you may want to consider dental bonding. To learn more, send us a message or call Jersey City Dental at (201) 332-0403.