Tooth-colored dental fillings restore teeth following cavity treatment. They can also be used to replace old metal fillings. Our caring doctors in Jersey City, NJ, will take time to restore your tooth in a way that looks entirely natural while safeguarding the health of your tooth.
Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
Dental fillings can offer cosmetic benefits as well as restorative benefits:
- Preservation of dental tissue: Fillings provide strength to your teeth following a restorative treatment. Meanwhile, composite fillings require less alteration of your teeth than traditional silver amalgam fillings.
- Stronger teeth: Composite fillings strengthen teeth after decayed tissue has been removed.
- Less post-treatment pain: Patients report less post-treatment pain and sensitivity from composite fillings than silver fillings. One reason for this is that metal reacts to temperature changes more quickly than composite fillings. As a result, individuals with silver or gold fillings often experience sensitivity to hot and cold drinks.
- A better fit: The material used in creating tooth-colored fillings adheres to the tooth more effectively than metal fillings. Also, because the material does not react as dramatically to temperature changes as metal fillings do, this solution can help you avoid developing stress fractures in your tooth over time.
- Long-term treatment: Composite fillings can last five to seven years with proper care.
- Improved self-confidence: Metal fillings can make teeth look unhealthy. Patients who have metal fillings often choose to have them replaced with tooth-colored fillings because they look more natural.
Am I a Candidate for Fillings?
You may be a good candidate for composite fillings if you have mild to moderate levels of tooth decay. This solution is used to fill in cavities after the decayed tissue has been removed.
Patients who have metal fillings and desire a more natural-looking solution are also good candidates for composite fillings. Fillings may not be a viable solution for patients who require extensive restorative treatments. For those patients, a dental crown or other treatment may be a better choice.
Thanks to tooth-colored dental fillings, patients no longer have to worry about unsightly fillings that can slowly damage teeth over time.
A Look at the Procedure
Our doctors utilize digital x-rays, a safer alternative to traditional x-rays, to examine your teeth. If cavities or other issues are detected, your damaged tooth will be prepared. This step involves cleaning and minor drilling to remove decay from your tooth. A laser or other sterilizing device may be used to ensure that all bacteria have been removed.
The second step involves filling the sterilized void with composite filling material. Once the filling has been carefully placed, a special curing light will be used to harden the material. The final step involves measuring your bite. Small amounts of the composite filling may be removed to ensure that your bite feels comfortable and meets properly. We encourage you to give us plenty of feedback at this stage of treatment so that we can make sure your results look and feel right.
Contact Our Clinic Today
Thanks to tooth-colored dental fillings, patients no longer have to worry about unsightly fillings that can slowly damage teeth over time. Our doctors will make sure that your fillings blend in with your surrounding teeth for a completely natural appearance. Once you have had composite fillings placed, you can benefit from a healthier and more natural-looking smile. To learn more about composite fillings or to schedule your first appointment, contact our office online or call (201) 332-0403.